Friday, October 17, 2008

A tribute to Manny

As you read this blog, and look at the pictures of our dear manny, who recently passed, you have to sing Sarah McLaughlin's "I Will Remember You". For effect. It will make looking at his pictures so much more meaningful :0) hee hee Just try it! And you too will find a new respect for bugs! (okay, not all of them but Praying Mantis') Like mom did. She was working in the garden at church and called me all excited "Guess what I found? Guess what I found?" I said, "A praying mantis?" Mom said, "how'd you guess?" She then admitted she would have never cared for them had she not gotten to know manny and how much we loved him.


Our dear sweet mangled pet bug, Manny
Kamryn enjoyed feeding Manny his pet food. Even she said he was cute.

Here's the real kicker- even my sister grew fond of Manny and enjoyed feeding him! (notice she didn't get too close though :0)
Lauren took such good care of him. He was techinically her bug but we all loved him
Gavin learned to be very careful and gentle with Manny- and I'm proud to say he will never be one of those boys who tortures poor little creatures.
A quick recap on manny- Lauren found him outside and decided to love him. Praying mantis' molt their old skin as they grow new. Poor manny got trapped in his skin as he was shedding so his limbs & wings got deformed. We decided it was our duty to care for him. And he was a little sweety. Manny was more than just a bug. He became part of the family. He had personality. He ate his little pet food off the stick and he sipped drops of water we put in front of him. He especially loved the little house plant we put in his cage. He had his own special spot on the counter and we checked on him every time we walked by. We'll never forget our little Manny. Rest in peace little guy! (I know this is incredibly cheesy but I'm almost crying right now! What's up with that???) He was such a cute little bug. Services are today after school in the backyard. In lieu of flowers you may send cash donations to the house :0) hee hee



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to admit, these little guys are interesting. I never thought I'd ever say that about a bug.
Mom

Julie said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that poor Manny is gone. You took great care of him. I have a feeling he won't be your last bug pet . . . how are Lauren's caterpillars?