Friday, April 18, 2008

No cell phones allowed!

What did we ever do without cell phones? What did we ever do without ipods, laptops, portable dvd's, etc. etc. etc.? We spent quality time with each other- that's what! As Gav and I were out and about, driving to our next destination, I called mom. She couldn't talk. I called my sister- not home. My friend Julie? Not available. So as I jokingly thought to myself "noone wants to talk to me" I simultaneously heard the sweetest little voice call from the back seat "mama?"My heart SANK! I was so busy occupying my time looking for conversation with a friend, that I was tuning out the one person in the world who was looking for conversation with me! While I actively sought ways to neglect my son, he actively sought ways to capture my attention- and I didn't even hear him! Turns out, he was sharing with me all his insights on the farm we just passed. How many times have I missed that because I was chatting on the phone? How many opportunities did I miss to moo like a cow and niegh like a horse because I was too busy sharing some trivial gossip? What was meant for "emergencies only" has become an all too important luxury-and I want to thank Gavin for reminding me that in this day and age of electronics, emails, video games, etc. what stands the test of time- what will never-ever change, is a child's need for his family- not his "stuff". Whether he's 13 or 2 or anywhere in between.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAaaaawwwwww, he is so sweet.
Don't be too hard on yourself. You give Gav a lot of quality time. But he knows, we shouldn't spend so much time on the phone. Can you believe a two year old opened your eyes? He is so cute. Enjoy him!!!
Love ya, Mom

Julie said...

Sorry I wasn't home . . . I think. Sounds like you sure had a good conversation with your sweet boy anyway!