Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My life in six words. . .

My sister Julie's blog friends "tagged her" and she had to blog about her life using only 6 words. Julie then challenged the rest of us bloggers to describe our lives in 6 words. I'll give it my best shot, and for those of you who know me, you won't be surprised:

loyal, happy, carefree, lucky, crazy and busy! That was easy!

Loyal: because I believe loyalty is a far too forgotten trait. I try to be loyal to my friends and family and even co-workers. I don't judge and I don't critique. I accept people for who they are not where they live, what kind of car they drive or how much money they make. I've got friends with degrees, friends without. I've partied with the docs and I've lunched with the housekeepers. I don't see "illegal immigrants" as "illegal immigrants', rather human beings with souls and the same God given rights the rest of us take for granted.

Happy: Life is far too short to be angry. I've lost many friends way too early. I don't take tomorrow for granted. I live each moment to the fullest. I love people, animals, the earth, especially my friends and family. Next time you take a drive look at the green trees, the blue sky, gentle hills. . . the earth is so beautiful and we don't even notice it half the time because we're so rushed to get where we're going. I LOVE hiking in the woods, and sleeping outdoors. I love hearing the birds in the morning. They welcome me to a new day.

Carefree: I admit sometimes I'm a little too lax, but again, I'm all about having fun and being happy. Yes, there are times I need to curtail that a bit but no one can ever say I haven't lived life to it's fullest. I may not have traveled to every corner of the world, but there's enough adventure for me right here in my own home!

Lucky: I thank God everyday for my blessings- for my home, for my family, for my parents, for my children, for my sister and her family, for my aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, my health, even for my job! I've said the same set of prayers since I was a small girl- they've gotten longer as I've had to add more people :0) and I've had to modify a few things (I pray more for animals now- especially the endangered ones)-things like that. Did you know polar bears may be extinct in my children's lifetime? check out www.worldwildlife.org to learn how you can help protect so many animals whose futures are threatened.

Crazy: The same spontaneity that got me in trouble in the past, is the exact same energy that makes me a successful nurse today. In labor and delivery, you often don't have time to sit and think things through- you have precious minutes to make a decision. You've got a baby in trouble and you've got to get back to that OR in minutes. We had a mom with twins run into trouble during labor and in 8 minutes we were back in the operating room getting those babies out- babies who otherwise would have died if we sat and "thought" about what to do. You just have to "go with the flow" sometimes. One minute my family is sitting here at home, the next we're hightailing it out of here to an unknown destination- but we're sure to have a good time. How many times have I been on the phone with mom having a casual conversation the next minute we're dining at Red Robin! We often giggle that we never know where we're gonna end up!

Busy: Needless to say. With a football playing freshman, a girscoutin', horseback ridin' 4th grader, a VERY active toddler, a full time job, a house to clean, meals to cook and errands to run, I have no problem keeping busy! Busy at home. Busy at work. There is always something to do. Even when you're not doing anything. that's something! But I wouldn't have it any other way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You picked six great words. Yes, the description after every word is you! That's my Melanie!!! (and I'm so proud to say so!!!)
Love ya, Mom