Friday, August 8, 2008

Okay all you ladies out there. . .


Although it's not technically "Breast Cancer Awareness" month, I believe that every day we have to be on guard and know our bodies enough to know when something isn't right. After a friend of mine just had a lumpectomy, and her mom is waiting for the results of a second biopsy, I got on the ball and made the appointment for my first mammogram. It came back neat n' clean. Now this is your reminder to make that appointment if you've been putting it off. Being adopted, I consider myself "at risk" for everything. Are you at risk? Do you preform monthly self breast exams? When I was a mother/baby nurse I was shocked to learn that I was the only nurse to include breast self exams in my patient's discharge teaching- even if it was their second or third child. My only response was often, "if you don't take care of yourself, how will you take care of your family?" We all know someone who has been affected by breast cancer. Don't let it be you!! visit: http://cms.komen.org/komen/index.htm and learn what you can do to help protect yourself, your daughters and those you love!

No comments: