Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why you should always see your dentist!

Perhaps it was because she was half asleep and I was in shock when I told her, but after this next story, my BFF (in between cracking up) managed to sputter out "you've got to blog about that". So for her 3 am enjoyment and for yours, here's my story as to why you should always see your dentist.

Sunday morning 10am: I was home trying to Gorilla glue some Halloween knick knacks for the upcoming Halloween season. I finally gave up on this one particular piece and headed to Ace Hardware for some simple nails.

Sunday afternoon 1 ish: I'm strolling through the aisles of my local hardware store when all of a sudden I feel something on my front tooth. Being the nailbiter that I am, I thought maybe when I went to bite earlier, I got a glob of super glue stuck to my tooth. After wiping it away with my tongue I realized there were some "rough edges". After a more thorough investigation I realized "OMG- I think a chunk of my front tooth is gone!". I hightailed it out of there, got home and called an emergency meeting with Todd.

Sunday afternoon 1:30ish: We determined that yes indeed part of my front tooth is missing (and not only that, it's lying on the floor in aisle 12 at Ace Hardware!) so I go lecture the kids "see. . . this is why you should never open things with your teeth" with gentle reinforcement from Todd "yes kids, this is all your fault". Hunter asked what they're going to do about it so I told him, "oh, well, they'll probably take my teeth out and I'll get a fancy pair of dentures that I'll put in a cup at my bedside at night and you kids will play terrible tricks on me and hide them around the house." Lauren was cracking up. Gavin was looking up at me grinning his own teeth, so concerned. And Hunter sat there thinking "don't insult my intelligence mom."

Sunday afternoon 2ish: Called my dentist pleading to see me asap.

Monday morning: My beloved dentist couldn't see me until Thursday- no way!! Called another dentist appropriately named "Tooth Fixer Dental". Ater driving by many many many many times and thinking to myself "what a goofy name for a dentist", I found myself calling and saying "yes, Tooth Fixer Dental? I need my tooth fixed". Now mind you, I was cracking myself up as I called but there was dead silence on the other end. I finally broke out of my laughter and said "seriously, I need my tooth fixed." I then struck it rich with the appointment girl and we got along great. Got me in for Tuesday morning! Yippee!

Monday afternoon: sick call to work- after all, I can't be seen like that!!

Tuesday morning: had to call and blow off all my girlfriends from work who were doing lunch and a movie that afternoon (they saw "The Women"- said it was great)

Tuesday afternoon: Hopped in the seat at my new dentist's office (wonderful place) and they got to work. As I laid there in that big long chair that only dentist's have, I thought about the hygienest and how gross working on teeth would be- all day long- fixing and cleaning people's disgusting teeth. (I cringe right now thinking about it). Then it dawned on me, she probably wouldn't like to be a labor and delivery nurse either. After all I deal with, well. . . you know! That's funny though how we all have our thing!

Got my new tooth! And I love it! My teeth feel all pearly and white and clean! And I feel like walking around smiling at everybody :0)


Moral of the story: always brush your teeth!
Before
After






















No comments: